September 18, 2011

The Perfect Baby














Perhaps this title is rather pretentious.  Of course, there is no guarantee that this last week is the indicator for the next year, but we hold out hope.

Eliana has a ridiculously sweet and accommodating spirit.  She is extremely considerate of her parent's sleep, does not desire to make her arrival in any way upset the flow of life here, is apologetic of disturbances, and generally seeks to be a blessing to all who interact with her. She cries as a last resort if we cannot hear her gentle protests for attention.  We put her down for sleep when we are tired, she nurses two or three times during the night, and only wakes in the morning once we are ready to care for her. On top of all this, she is lovely.  A perfectly round head with dark hair and a faux-hawk, button nose, full lips, long fingers and toes, and charming little skinny legs.  Adorable in every way.

The picture I have just painted you, can only belong to a {practically} perfect baby.  We are stunned.  This is not something we were expecting.

Of course every parent hopes for an infant like the one I have just described, but they must be rare creatures, indeed.  Our first two were the exact opposite.  Their presence was very much experienced throughout every night.

God must have known the trials we are already facing at this time with Camelia's nocturnal wanderings and my difficult healing.  Thanks to the amazing sleep and gentleness of little Ellie, I am recovering.  Last night we put Camelia back into the crib (after about 6 months of being in a toddler bed), and she slept, too. Mellie only woke once in the night gently {?!} crying out, "Daddy, hold me!"

We are blessed with a family perfectly designed by God to grow together, love each other, challenge each other's weaknesses, and uplift despite those shortcomings.  These little girls are remarkable.  Gilana has proven to be an excellent big sister, concerned for the little ones and always desiring to help (though she is not yet trusted to hold Ellie as she is likely to pass her like a football to someone else).  Camelia is adjusting to the new change of pace as we have had a great deal of help from family and friends.  She enjoys watching as I care for Ellie and likes to be involved with this marvelous "baby sister" in whatever way I can include her.  There has been a constant flux in life lately, and the girls are holding up considerably well.

We have been blessed with help caring for both myself and the girls.  Thanks to Mopsy, Popsy, Tammy, Luana, and Nana Robbie, Byron has been able to go to work, I have been able to rest, we have had food, and the girls have been supervised and loved.  Tammy even flew in with little Will to help commandeer the girls and housekeeping.  Laundry would not have gotten done without her.  Luana has been a constant help throughout the challenging last weeks of pregnancy and this last week.  We clearly have reason to be grateful.

I look forward to mothering my children and taking back my responsibilities.  I have missed our snuggles and romps together, but know this time with my newborn is precious and something to be savored.  Above all, I am once again reminded of the remarkable man I married.  His faithfulness and diligent work on behalf of his family is incredible.  We are blessed.

1 comment:

Liz said...

So happy to hear it is going well and that you have lots of help. I hope your healing speeds up and you feel better soon!